Tuesday, October 18, 2016

OTD: Vintage shorts + graphic tee + LL Bean Boots


It's official: I've become my mother.

The other day I was rooting around in my mom's old clothing, and I discovered a treasure-trove of soft, faded tee shirts she wore back in the eighties. Baggy, vintage, and just my style. Along with them, I uncovered an awesome pair of high waisted jeans, frayed and ripped from years of use, complete with patches on the back. Tee shirt + vintage shorts + mom's old LL Bean Boots = perfect outfit.


This outfit kind of makes me look like a through hiker on the Pacific Crest Trail; there's definitely a just-wandered-out-of-the-wilderness-after-two-months vibe going on here. And I'm not going to lie: I'm into it.

The shirt is from when my mom went to the Monterey Bay Aquarium in California many years ago. I actually went there once when I was six; I don't remember it of course. But it has otters on it and it's super cute, so I decided it was perfect for this look.


As you can see, these shorts have taken quite a beating. The right hem is torn and hanging at my thigh, and both hems are frayed beyond belief. My favorite part is the patches my mom sewed onto them many years ago. That whale one? Adorable! They're super high-waisted, and--you're not going to believe this--the pockets are over six inches deep. After spending most of my life with itty-bitty pockets (thanks, whoever decided women don't need pockets!) this felt like a real treat. I could fit my whole phone in there! Heck, I could hide a small child!

They're a little big for me, so I looped a belt through them and that did the trick.


For shoes, I slipped on my mom's old LL Bean Boots. These were all the rage a couple years ago, before I had the same size feet as my mom, of course. I love how worn in they are; if you can't tell, the theme of this outfit is "used". 

Not much accessorizing going on here. I'm wearing my usual glasses, along with a pair of swirly, multicolored earrings to add a little flash. I've also got a black and yellow ribbon pinned to my belt loop; last week, five kids my age who go to a high school in my state were involved in a fatal car crash, and today they passed out these ribbons for students to wear in commemoration. 

That's all, folks! Obviously, considering this look is almost 100% vintage, it's impossible to recreate completely; if you're interested in an OTD involving clothes you can actually buy, let me know. And if you, too, are all about the Vintage Mom/Through Hiker aesthetic, I want to hear about it! 

L8r sk8r,
Ella

10 comments:

  1. AGAIN LOVE! FALL IS THE BEST. I laided in some leaves the other da! HIKER AESthETIC yes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes fall is here and the location of these shots definitely portrays that! There are some beautiful trees around here.

      Delete
  2. This outfit has my love!!! That's so awesome your mom still has her old clothes! (In my family we are pretty much of the mentality of "I don't like it anymore, I get rid of it." So my mom's closet is not where I find my vintage/used clothes. ;)
    Super cute pictures btw! <3
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You can probably find plenty of vintage clothes and similar attire at thrift shops. Some have specific sections for graphic tees nowadays, which is awesome. It's kind of fun to get it from your family, though, because you know the story behind it.

      Delete
  3. This is just like last week I dug through my attic and found 3 of my dad's shirts from the 80's! (too bad they are all baseball teams XD )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, sports; ruining everything since forever ;)

      If you're really invested, I'm betting your dad's old clothes are still salvageable! Consider cutting the sleeves, hem, and neckline, tucking it into high waisted jeans/shorts, or timing them up.

      Delete
  4. I love this outfit sooo much (and I also really like your blog!!!!) Those boots are absolutely gorgeous, your mom has great taste ;)

    xx Bella
    http://www.sillymindofmine.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! If you'd asked me a year ago I would have wrinkled my nose at my mom's fashion sense in the 80's but now it's...GASP...almost the same as mine!

      Delete
  5. Hello Ella,
    It'S wonderful which clothing we would find in the wardrobes of our parents or only in your own. I love this tshirt and the boots. In the picture it is looking like a knind of warm sunlight in october. the golden october is great, wheather I can say from november that it is gray.
    Love,Lea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't is amazing what wonders our parents' closets can possess, once we open ourselves up to them?

      The sun and leaves were beautiful that day! I'm missing that kind of weather, now that the November bleakness has set in.

      Delete

Comments are moderated, but if you have something nice to say please feel free.