Sunday, October 2, 2016

A Sweet Start to October



grinding the apples
apples galore!
Yesterday, I welcomed October by dressing in my fall getup, purchasing an autumnal eyeshadow palette, and pressing apple cider and cooking pumpkin pasta with my best friend.

It was a cool day, the perfect temperature for fall: cold enough that you can wear a few layers of thin jackets, but warm enough that you don't have to zip them up. I started off the day by heading to my local CVS to pick out a NYX eyeshadow palette filled with golds and browns to match the changing leaves. I need to stop spending so much money on makeup, but I just can't help myself.

After glitzing up my eyes, I headed to Marika's house, where we laboriously assembled her apple cider press, hosing off all the wooden pieces and scrubbing them down with soap and bleach. When we had finally put it all together, we fed the apples in, crushing them to pulp and then pressing them until the juices ran free, trickling into the silver pot.


We collected about a gallon of cider, which we carried into the kitchen to taste. It was delicious; so sweet and thick, with a heavenly aroma. For all the labor we put into making it, it was certainly worth it.

What to do next? It was a few hours from dinner, so Marika and I conspired to follow up our autumn drink with an autumn meal. After a few minutes browsing online, we came up with a recipe for pumpkin pasta. It looked delicious and relatively easy. We were just missing two ingredients: parmesan cheese and a pie pumpkin.

Marika has her drivers license already, but she couldn't drive down to the grocery store because her foot is currently in a boot (long story). The store isn't too far from her house, however, so I volunteered to whiz down on my bike and pick up the ingredients. I hopped on my bike, headed to the store, and was back in twenty minutes with pumpkin and cheese in hand.

sweet, fresh cider
From there, we commenced making our fall meal: roasting the pumpkin, boiling the pasta, sizzling up the garlic and chopped pecans. Then we set the table, put out the food, and got to eating. It was delicious, of course. Whenever I go over to Marika's I end up cooking a meal (not that I'm complaining--I've got to start learning to cook for myself).


Needless to say, my October started off on a good foot. As I write, I'm snuggled under flannel sheets while rain sprinkles outside my window. I hope your autumn is going just as well as mine.

L8r sk8r,
Ella

2 comments:

  1. AHH, HOMEADE CIDER IS THE BOMMMMB!!!!!!!!!!!! Also, your day sounds FABULOUS! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesss, so delicious!

      My day was great! It's good to have a cozy autumn day every now and then!

      Delete

Comments are moderated, but if you have something nice to say please feel free.