Friday, March 6, 2015

How I Write

Hello, Blogging Beings. 

As most of you know, I'm a writer. I divide my writing time between this blog, my community blog, different writing websites, and literary magazines/writing contests. I've been writing ever since I was little (back then my work was stapled books about my stuffed animals), but I only really discovered my passion for writing when I was ten. 

Since then I've continued writing, and I can say for sure I've improved. I've still got a long ways to go, I know--there's always room for improvement. But I thought today I might share with you my writing space, and some essentials for my writing.
★☆★
Below, you'll see my writing workspace. My desk is tiny, because my room is tiny, but it holds everything I really need--my lamp, my computer, my little succulent garden...and a random roll of duct tape. I like that it's by a window, even though it only looks out onto my neighbor's roof.
 Fine. I lied. That is not what my desk looks like. Usually it's twelve times messier. The photo below is probably a better representation of its natural state.
Ooh, here's a fun game. Can you spot these items? Laser pointer, polka-dotted mouse, pencil, GoPro.
My computer is an old 2008 MacBook. My mom got it when it was state-of-the-art technology, but now it has a multitude of problems, including (but not limited to): not connecting to the WiFi unless it's literally right next to the router, shutting down if left unplugged for more than twenty minutes, and being super slow in general. Fortunately, it still fulfills my writing needs...for now.
 If you don't have an external hard drive, I suggest you get one as soon as you can. Backing up your writing is extremely important, especially when your computer is as fickle as mine. Think of how anguished you would be if you woke up one morning and your computer had died--taking your words to the grave with it. A hard drive keeps that from happening. What I have here holds a terabyte (100GB), but a thumb drive will also work just fine.
I'm lucky to live in a community with great writing opportunities for young people. There's an organization in my area that lets kids submit their writing online for possible publication in a variety of local newspapers, which I know is rare in a lot of places. But even if I didn't have this gateway, there are still plenty of online literary magazines that will take work from young writers. If you want to get your writing out into the world, there are opportunities for you. You just have to look for them.

I don't know what I expected this post to be, but it turned out like this, so hopefully you enjoyed it. Let me know how you write, and what your writing essentials are!

Later skater,
Ella

4 comments:

  1. That's cool! I like your desk area! I sure do know how you feel about the messiness! My desk always becomes a mess the day after I clean it!
    Mae :)
    superswankified.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lives of disorganized people...:)

      Delete
  2. Oh gosh, your writing space is so cool! :)
    I am also forever messing up my space, whether it be my room or any other place I so happen to be!
    Can you pop by my blog maybe? It's relatively new, so I don't know of it will be as good as this one.
    www.blindeyesoftheworld.blogspot.com
    Up there^ Thank yooou!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stopped by your blog, loved it, and subscribed. Keep writing! You have some great things to say.

      Delete

Comments are moderated, but if you have something nice to say please feel free.