Thursday, March 19, 2015

Falling Asleep


I don't know about you, but I have a lot of trouble falling asleep. I think it's gotten worse since I've started high school, because I have a lot on my mind, and when I lay down to get my beauty sleep...that's when all the thoughts hit me.

Going to sleep should be easy--but it's not. The minute my head hits the pillow, my mind starts going over my day, reminding me of the assignments I need to complete for the week, and checking that I've done all my homework that's due tomorrow. If I remember a project that's due in a couple days, I have to get up, go across the room, and set a reminder on my phone, telling me to work on it the next day. Even though I know I won't actually forget to work on it, the little voice in the back of my head tells me otherwise. This sometimes happens two or three times. It's very frustrating.

Once I've set enough reminders for myself, I start to think about all the work I have ahead of me. Then, all the worries about not being able to get it done begin to overwhelm me. It's so much work! I'll never finish it! WHY DIDN'T I START IT THIS AFTERNOON WHEN I HAD TIME?! All the panicking that should have come earlier, when I actually had time to do anything, only starts once I've resigned myself to going to bed. I take a couple deep breaths and remind myself, You'll do it tomorrow. For now, there's nothing you can do but sleep.

Okay. So everything I could possibly freak out about has been freaked out about. Now is when my brain decides to get creative and come up with ideas for stories, characters, entrepreneurial activities, and countless other projects. None of this inspiration came earlier, when I was sitting in front of my computer, ready to get those creative juices flowing--it always has to come when I'm trying to sleep. Then, of course, I have to scrounge up a notepad and write everything down, in case I forget it--which I never do.

Now that I've finally set three reminders for the next day, had a mini breakdown, and scribbled down all my ideas, maybe I can go to sleep. Or maybe I'll have to lie awake for another half hour, before I finally get comfortable and sleep overtakes me. It usually takes me 20-40 minutes to fall asleep. When I've had a long day, and all I want to do is be rested enough to wake up without too much effort at 6:20 the next morning, it can be really frustrating to be unable to go to sleep immediately.

Does anyone else have this problem--where your head suddenly goes crazy right when you're trying to go to sleep? It happens for me most nights, unless I'm super tired.

Later skater,
Ella. 

9 comments:

  1. I have exactly the same problem! I'm the type of person who's mind suddenly comes alive at night, and I am a crazy worrier. These two are not a good mix! I end up going through everything in my life and can find myself staying up until midnight drowning in thoughts! To prevent this happening, I tend to read or go on my phone until I feel tired enough to fall asleep straight away.

    Love your blog. :)

    pretty-things-a-n-d-polka-dots.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so frustrating, right!? Glad to know I'm not the only one.

      Delete
  2. Oh i know what it's like, Ella. BELIEVE me. I can never sleep at night, and I pay the dear price for it come morning. Just alk the thoughts come flooding through my mind just as I'm about to fall asleep. It's TORTURE

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's how I end up going to sleep, too; I'm too busy thinking to actually fall into dream land. Also, I tend to ponder about other things, too. There was this one post on Tumblr I saw that described this exact situation which went something like this:

    Me in the day: Potato, potato, ching chong tomato.
    Me in the night: I wonder why earth was placed in this exact position in order to sustain life.

    It's so weird... ah, well, we're all a strange generation. Good luck, future kids of ours! XD

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, pretty much describes exactly what happens.

      Delete
  4. I used to be that way! It's pretty rough. I usually read before bed and that knocks me out (unless if the book is too good!). Or I have a friend who does yoga and that helps her too!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated, but if you have something nice to say please feel free.