Sunday, January 11, 2015

Meet Molasses

My dad holding Molasses

Some of you might know that I have a little guinea pig, who I call Molasses. Today I thought I'd just tell you a little about her. First of all, she is the cutest little thing in the world. She's mostly black with patches of white, and she enjoys poking her nose around into anywhere she can manage. She's a curious little pig.

She's three and a half, but I've only had her for 13 months. I got her from the humane society last December, along with her sister, Nutmeg. Unfortunately, in February Nutmeg grew very ill and died. It was devastating. I know many people think that the deaths of small animals are insignificant, that it doesn't make sense to cry unless the pet was a beloved dog or a larger animal such as that. But animals, no matter how small or how long you've had them, have a place in your heart. This is something more people need to know: if your friend's pet has just died--whether it was a fish or a lizard or a cat or a hedgehog--please be sympathetic, because it means more to them than you can understand.
Nutmeg (left) and molasses (right)

Okay, back to the topic at hand: Molasses! Molasses is a happy little pig, who enjoys sleeping, eating, and pushing around her cardboard box. Some guinea pigs just sit around all day, but not Molasses! She has a real personality--she's a spunky little pig. She's a bit of a bully, to be honest. She likes to headbutt you if you pet her the wrong way, and she runs around like a maniac. But she can also be sweet--she'll gently nibble your fingers and let you snuggle her in her arms, and she can't resist a good, juicy carrot.

Everybody who meets her falls in love with her. Ask any of my friends and they will tell you she's the cutest little thing they've ever seen. I, for one, cannot pass her cage without reaching down to stroke her little nose, or (and this is slightly embarrassing) bursting into spontaneous song about her adorableness. Yup.
Molasses nibbling on her favorite treat--fresh grass!

Do you have a pet? If so, what kind? Let me know!

2 comments:

  1. She looks like a happy guinea pig! My family has a dog, 3 cats, and some chickens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! I wish I had that many animals.

      Delete

Comments are moderated, but if you have something nice to say please feel free.