Monday, December 15, 2014

Glasses and Me


A couple weeks ago I went to the eye doctor, because I had noticed that my far vision was getting a little blurry. I didn't think anything was really wrong, and I doubted I would need glasses, but half an hour and a couple of tests later, the doctor informed me that I'm nearsighted. For all of you who have never been able to figure out the difference between nearsightedness and farsightedness (like me until recently), being nearsighted means that objects in the distance appear slightly out of focus (more or less so, depending on the seriousness). Seems like it should be simple, right? Somehow I always get it confused.

Anyway, my vision isn't that bad; my myopia is pretty mild. I have 20/40 vision (I believe), as opposed to the normal 20/20. Still, when I got my glasses and slid them on, I was surprised at how much my vision improved. Now I can read signs across the street! I can make out the features in far away faces! I have superhuman eyes! Or not.

I just picked up my glasses this afternoon. I picked them out last week, and boy did it take me a long time. I tried to find ones that looked good on my face, but my reflection never looked like me; I wasn't used to myself with glasses. I'm still not, actually, but I guess that's because I've only had them for three hours.

A suggestion to you all: if you're squinting at the board in school, or having trouble reading things on the other side of the room, make an appointment with an eye doctor. Mainly I want glasses so that I can read the boards in my classrooms; last week a teacher actually saw me squinting and advised me to sit closer. If you've just had a growth spurt (like me) sometimes that can cause your vision to get a little out of whack.

Well, it's time to begin my life wearing glasses! If any of you have them already, feel free to leave me tips.


8 comments:

  1. I hope you get used to your glasses soon! I've had glasses since I was little. I had no idea I was short sighted either, but since then my vision has just kept getting worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting used to them... Glasses buddies unite!

      Delete
  2. So glad you can see better now! I think you picked out a pair that looks nice on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does feel great to finally be able to see clearly! I've had glasses for about 4 years, and I've rotated through about 5 different frames. I think the ones you chose suit you well!

    xo Arushee // Unadorned Gifts

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with glasses! Sometimes vision improves over time. I wore my glasses constantly, and now I only need to use them for my laptop. (I can't find them right now though; back! >.<).

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know! Hopefully my vision will improve or I'll be able to get contacts.

      Delete
  5. It's definitely better to get your eyes checked as soon as you notice difficulty when you're focusing on objects at a distance. It's also better to ask an optometrist for professional advice and prescription glasses. In any case, you look pretty with your new pair of glasses, Ella. I hope things are well with you. All the best! :)

    Doris Gibbs @ Moody Eyes

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated, but if you have something nice to say please feel free.