Wednesday, November 26, 2014

On Being Cold (and Staying Warm)


I think I am secretly a reptile. Not because I have scales or four legs, but because I'm 93.07% sure I'm cold blooded.

I get cold way too easily. If I'm swimming and the water is anywhere below seventy-five degrees (I estimated there), I'm left with my teeth chattering uncontrollably and my lips a very unnatural shade of purple. In the winter, I'm not one of those girls who you'll see wearing a thin jacket with no gloves or hat. I'm the one with the big coat and the neckwarmer that leaves only my eyes exposed, the puffy mittens, and the fat boots. Trust me, it'll be the fashion in oh, I don't know, twenty-thousand years. I'm a trendsetter.

Anyway, I thought I'd write up some tips for any fellow reptiles out there who need some help staying warm as the temperature drops.

1. Weekends are for comfort. During the school week you might need to stay on top of your fashion game, but come Friday evening you can strip off the jeans and thin tops and opt for the warm, comfy choice. Nobody's going to know if you laze around in your room wearing sweatpants and baggy sweatshirts. It'll be your little secret.

2. Drink ample amounts of cocoa. There's nothing wrong with guzzling down a gallon of hot chocolate to keep your insides toasty. Heck, bring some to school in a trendy travel mug if you can. If necessary, stop by a local cafe after school (or, okay, Starbucks), and treat yourself to a mug of cocoa. There. That's better.

3. Never leave the palace that is your bed. Seriously. If you can stay beneath the warmth of your comforter all day, do it. There's nothing wrong with living in your pajama paradise. As long as you have a stash of chocolate and a good book, you'll be fine. Trust me on this one.

4. Wear layers. You might not want to cover your cute top with a sweatshirt, but you can layer underneath to keep warm. Wear a cami if that helps. And I know how dorky this sounds, but if you're walking to school and it's not a gym day, slip on a pair of long underwear under those jeans. Nobody has to know, and your legs will thank you.

5. Hats + gloves = happiness. Girls seem to think that they won't look cool if they wear gloves or hats, but I personally think it's the opposite. If it's ten degrees out and you're not wearing proper head-or-hand-wear, sometimes it can look like you're just trying too hard to seem cool. Maybe I'm being a little harsh, but that's just how I see it. Fortunately, hats and gloves don't have to look dorky. There are plenty of cute and fashionable hats out there, as well as adorable knit or leather gloves. If you want to suffer frostbite for the sake of...I don't even know what it's for the sake of, well, that's your choice. Brave the elements with bare skin, Shackleton!* Or don't. And be happy.
*Look him up.

There's my advice, if you so choose to follow it. Stay warm, folks!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the advice! I agree on hats and gloves--better warm than cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely better to be warm!

      Delete
  2. We are both probably secret reptiles. ;) I feel the exact same way! Love these tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew I wasn't the only one. I'm like a penguin in the winter,waddling because I'm most likely wearing 6 coats at the same time. I'll certainly be following these tips. Reptiles unite.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated, but if you have something nice to say please feel free.