Friday, August 8, 2014

Old Sturbridge Village

I'm up at my grandmother's house in Connecticut, visiting for a couple of days before we head to a family reunion, and today we went and visited Old Sturbridge Village. It's basically a recreation of an 1800s-style village, with all the kinds of buildings they would have had back then, like a blacksmith shop and a farm, and even some houses that really people actually lived in during that time period. You can go into the shops and houses and look around to see how they lived. There are even actors walking the streets and working in the shops in costume. So, I took some photos! Enjoy!
The welcome sign
Sheep in the fields.
You could take a carriage ride! (We didn't, though)
Women dying their own yarn
Ground up sage and other plants, which will become dye.
Dye and wool boiling over the fire.
A cool old desk. Now on my I-WANNIT list.
Hanging out the laundry!
The general store.
Delicious candies from the general store.
A barn-type thingymajig.
Oxen grazing in the meadow.
Dang it! How did they know what I was planning...
Pigs chillin' in the shade.
Sheep hanging by the fence.
Blacksmiths at work.
Pottery kiln.
The master potter.
Covered bridge.
Dream catcher earrings my grandmother bought for me.
I love them!


4 comments:

  1. Looks like a very interesting and educational place to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Aren't they? I can't wait to wear them!

      Delete

Comments are moderated, but if you have something nice to say please feel free.