Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Crickets

The other night I was in the kitchen, doing something or other, when I realized that the night was not silent as usual--there were crickets chirping, filling the air with their little melodies.

On one hand, hearing them made me happy. I mean, who doesn't love to hear a cricket's cheerful little chirp? And when you have a whole backyard of them, you practically have your own garden orchestra, playing their tiny little hearts out for you.

On the other hand, however, the sound filled me with a kind of sad realization that summer is almost over. When the crickets start to sing, you know it's August, and that all too soon you'll be breaking out your backpacks and lunchboxes and heading off to school.

In June, summer felt infinite, August's end felt thousands of miles away. The next two months held so much potential. Camping trips! Slumber parties! Days at the beach! Ice cream runs! Bike rides! There was so much to do and, so it seemed, so much time to do it.

But now it's August. In 21 days I'll be zipping up my backpack and biking off to start high school. I still have so many things I want to accomplish this summer, but I don't think I'll be able to get to all of them. My August is turning out to be really busy--I barely have a day to myself at home.

I think I'll just appreciate the rest of my summer, listen to the crickets as they sing outside my window, accomplish what I can before school begins. Because before I know it, time will have flown by and summer will be coming around again.

2 comments:

  1. I feel ya, Ella! I'm going to miss summer too! To me summer has so many good qualities. No school, swimming in pools, watermelon,and so much more! I'm also looking forward to the colorful leaves and cool breeze in autumn. Each season has its own kind of beauty, don't you think? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely. I also like Autumn; the air seems so crisp and winter is right around the corner.

      Delete

Comments are moderated, but if you have something nice to say please feel free.