Thursday, July 31, 2014

NaNoWriMo

Good news: I joined the NaNoWriMo website!

If you don't know what I'm talking about, NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month. NaNoWriMo happens every November, and the challenge is simple: write 50,000 words in 30 days. Intriguing, yet terrifying all the same.

I first learned about National Novel Writing Month through an article in a local newspaper, and I thought it sounded cool. I didn't know there was a website, or an acronym for it, however, and so when I started seeing all these bloggers talking about "NaNoWriMo" and how they were doing "Camp NaNoWriMo" I was thinking, How are all these people doing the same camp? So I looked it up. And I suggest, if you are an aspiring writer, you join. To sign up, click HERE.

I know, to me at least, writing 50,000 words in a mere 30 days seems like a daunting ask. Heck, it took me 8 months to finish my book (although it's 90,000 words, but still). Incidentally, though, I did start it in November. So technically it's a product of NaNoWriMo, albeit an extremely late one.

But NaNoWriMo isn't about creating a masterpiece, at least that's not what I think of it as. It's more about just sitting down and writing; who cares if the dialogue isn't realistic, or if the plot is going haywire? All that editing stuff is for later. In fact, for once, it's more about quantity rather than quality.

So this November, pick up a pencil, or position your fingers on a keyboard, and GET WRITING! Write what comes to mind. Write for the fun of it. Enjoy yourself. Before you know it you'll have 50,000 crazy, wonderful words sitting before you.

5 comments:

  1. Awesome! I was just thinking of signing up:)
    Love your blog. Sorry it took me so long to visit:P
    -Kat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem. You should definitely sign up!

      Delete
  2. OK, so you wrote a book-- and a pretty long one at that. Is it available to buy, or read? Because I'm always looking for new books and one written by a blogger my age would be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I signed up for this last year! It is pretty cool and depending on where you are, sometimes they have write-ins where you just come and meet a whole bunch of other people in your area doing NaNoWriMo and write! I had a story and everything planned to do it last year, and I signed up on the website, but my laptop crashed at the end of October! I tried it a little bit but I wasn't able to really try it. I'll look for your profile, and I look forward to doing it this year with you! If you have questions or want to talk to someone who has completed it, you can head over to:

    http://thebubblegumballerina.blogspot.com/

    Mikayla is a good friend of mine and she has completed NaNo multiple times! You can talk to her if you want. =)

    Can't wait to do it with you this year!

    ~Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! It's nice to hear from someone so enthusiastic.

      Delete

Comments are moderated, but if you have something nice to say please feel free.