Sunday, July 20, 2014

Bread & Puppet

Today my mom, her friend, her friend's son and I drove up to Bread and Puppet. Bread and Puppet is this kind of political show out in the country, where they have all these big puppets on sticks and cool costumes and a bunch of little acts about different things. At the end they give you bread spread with an oil and garlic paste. It's hard to explain, but I've gone every year for quite a while. 

Anyway, it's a long drive, so partway through we stopped at Rainbow Sweets Bakery, where I ate a very delicious Argentinian empanada. We also got some pastries, including the legendary Johnny Depp's Balls, which are little little glazed dough balls filled with some type of Carmel custard, on top of a flaky biscuit and topped with a generous serving of whipped cream. Quite delicious (unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture). 
Rainbow Sweets
My delicious empanada. It's filled with beef and olives and raisins.
Placemat doodles

After a bit more driving we reached Bread and Puppet. It's in a large field  and you bring blankets and spread them out on the hill to watch. The show is in front of a big, colorful bus, behind which lie all the costumes and puppets. There are tons of grasshoppers jumping about in the grass, and if you lie very still they'll hop on you. 
My friend the cricket.


We met our friends there and then sat down to watch. As per usual, it was blistering hot and the sun was beating down on us. I find the show pretty interesting, but if you're not up to current events in the news it doesn't make much sense. 
The bus and little circus ring.
One of the acts (involving rhinoceri and children)
Afterwards they have a pageant/procession in the woods above the hill, which we walked up to attend. I had just walked in when I looked back to see my mom's friend's son jumping about at the edge of the forest and yelling. At first I wasn't sure what was going on, but then I realized that he had walked through a swarm of yellow jackets. He got stung twice, but fortunately he's not allergic and was fine. Some people roped off the area where the yellow jackets were to make sure no one else got stung. 

After the pageant there was another shorter show on the adjacent field, and then everyone lined up to get bread from the little shack. I got my piece, gobbled it down, and then we piled into the car and drove home. 
The line for bread.
My bread piece (they were small, but they had to feed a whole bunch of people.)
All in all it was a good day and a worthy way to spend my Sunday. 

Talk to you later,

Ella

4 comments:

  1. Those pastry's sound awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pastry's sound so yummy! I love your blog! I was wondering: maybe you could check out my blog? The link to it is below.

    http://reflectionsofajollygirl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I like your blog too. Unfortunately sometimes when I try to follow a blog the computer has some kind of error that doesn't let me do it, so it's not letting me follow you right now. :P But don't worry, I signed up via email.

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much! The same error happens to me too on my computer sometimes!I If there is an error when I'm trying to follow a blog, I usually just follow that blog the next day when they are no errors!

      Delete

Comments are moderated, but if you have something nice to say please feel free.